Giovanni Chianese was born in Naples in 1976. During the first years of his career as a photographer he had the opportunity to meet famous photographers like Richard Tuschman, Robert Herman and Sylvia Plachy, who inspired his works. In particular, the encounter with Richard Tuschman in 2015. inspired the project “Loneliness”, one of the most voted projects on Lensculture.com, in the section ‘Visual Storytelling’. A picture from the same project was exhibited at the Contemporary Art International Award in Trieste (2015). In the same year his work entitled “London Tourism” was published on C41- Magazine.
In April 2016, he realized his first solo exhibition in space gallery Lo.FT (Lecce- April 2016) with the project “Loneliness”.
In 2016 and in 2017 he was one of finalists at London Photo Festival in the category Abstract fine art photography competition, exhibiting the pictures “I’m nothing” and “Ophelia”.
His works were displayed in other exhibitions including the collective exhibition hosted in “OFF Circuit – Fotografia Europea – Reggio Emilia” (May 2016), the collective exhibition #NAplesInTheAir hosted in the space of the International Airport of Naples and a collective exhibition at the Triennale of Italian photography – in Venice (November 2017).
More recently, he developed an interest in fashion photography and he took part in a course at London University of Arts – Central Saint Martins. This experience made him a more eclectic photographer and some aspects of fashion and portrait photography can be found in his recent personal projects.
- November 2017 Collective Exhibition “Triennale di Fotografia Italiana”, Venice, Italy.
- July 2017 Collective Exhibition CrazyLove and publication on the Zine #M, Magazzini Fotografici, Naples, Italy.
- May 2017 finalist at the London Photo Festival, London, UK.
- April 2017 Collective Exhibition #NAplesInTheAir, International Airport of Naples, Italy.
- October 2016 Honorable Mention in Fine Art – Other at International Photography Award – section Storytelling for the project Loneliness.
- May 2016 finalist at the London Photo Festival, London, UK.
- May 2016 Collective Exhibition, Off Circuit, Festival Fotografia Europea, Reggio Emilia, Italy.
- March 2016 finalist at Slideluck Trieste.
- October 2015 publication of the project London Tourism on C41 – Magazine.
- September 2015 finalist at Lynx, Premio Internazionale di Arte Contemporanea, Trieste, Italy.
- July 2014 Collective Exhibition Contaminazioni, Associazione Fotografica Flegrea, Naples, Italy.